[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Jun 21 14:07:19 UTC 2016

Kris Seeburn wrote:

[...]

> What i was trying to say is we could reduce the allocation size for organisation who
> do not use v6 and still give the wider chunk to Academia and research and push that
> v6 allocated to academia who get 50% discount anyways should heavily promote
> v6 as a result. The slashes may need some revisiting but i’d me more tempted to
> give them a block that they would use than give it to someone who does not want
> it anyways.

I'm not sure that I full understand what you mean. However, it sounds like you might not realize how much IPv6 space there is. Each RIR has been allocated a /12 and qualifies for an additional /12 when it has used (allocated and/or reserved) half of that space. That's 524,288 minimum allocations or at least tens of thousands of more generous allocations.

But the /12 from which AFRINIC allocates comes from 2000::/3, which contains 512 /12s, of which just six have been allocated or otherwise used. That means there's enough space to support each RIR getting a /12 a year for a century, should that be necessary.

Given the vastness of the IPv6 address space, I do not understand what your objective is when you discuss the possibility of allocating less space to some groups. I can see the value in not registering an IPv6 allocation to a network operator who does not want one. But what advantage does anyone get from having the size of their IPv6 allocation restrained when there is so much IPv6 space available?

Regards,

Leo Vegoda