[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Mon Jun 20 12:54:37 UTC 2016

[…….]

> additionally, at some point, afrinic *will* start charging for ipv6.  (or, the services related to that - read it however you will).  at that point, afrinic is going to be potentially charging real money to some organisation, for something that the organisation had not wanted,

> but that they had been *forced* to request.

Yes, at some point, the fees schedule may be updated from what it is now(*), to take into consideration IPv6 categories like other RIRs have done without a crisis.

(*)======

3. Resource Members - IPv6 fees and Categories

IPv6 is in its early adoption stage in our region. To encourage and promote its usage in the region, the AFRINIC Board ratified the following measures:

3.1 For existing members (with IPv4 allocation(s) and/or EU/PI assignments):

No additional fees as a result of the issued IPv6 prefix will apply.

Not to consider the new IPv6 prefix allocation and/or PI assignment in calculating the Billing category of the member.

> IANAL, but that’s a potential liability issue that afrinic would do well to steer away from.

As far as the policies and allocation criteria  are clear, anyone requesting ressources are bound by them.

—Alain