[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Sat Jun 18 15:28:02 UTC 2016

On 18 Jun 2016, at 16:20, ALAIN AINA wrote:

> That is exactly what we are doing. Update the soft landing policy to
> meet the goal of using the 102/8 to encourage IPv6 deployment.

no.  you are updating the policy to say:
> No space allocation from the last /8 if you can’t  show IPv6.

… which is enforcing *your* idea of how their network should run.
… which is not what afrinic should do.

assume i am a later-comer.
assuming i have need for IPv4 for a purpose you cannot imagine.
assume i have done the math, and i do not need IPv6 for a period of time
that i feel is acceptable to me.
or, that i can get IPv6 from my transit.  or .. [$scenario].

v4 and v6 are different resources.  this is why we have different
policies for each.

—n.