[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Honest Ornella GANKPA honest1989 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:26:02 UTC 2016

I will have to agree with Mark on this one.
It is ultimately an operator's prerogatives how he wants to run his
network. He can decide to buy non ipv6 compliant equipment and Afrinic
can't do anything about it. I mean we have BGP BCPs but people still
announce /25 and more to their transit....

I believe Alain's suggestion is sensible: prove that you have at least
deployed IPv6 in your network to some extent before requesting more IPv4
(when we hit soft landing)

> Yes It's easy to say when it suits you, my network, my rules. Don't tell
> me how to run my network. As long as there is about the relationship
> between you and your customer Afrinic has absolutely nothing to do there,
> but when you use resources that belong to a community for which Afrinic is
> the guarantor, please, don't come out with this argument.
>
> The resources made available by Afrinic are resources allocated based on
> the needs and if those needs disappear resources should be restored to
> Afrinic. They are not sold resources, but allocated (made available). So the
> argument don' t tell me how to run my network does not fit in this case,
> you must comply with Afrinic requirements , otherwise the service will be interrupted
> to you. It's that simple. but you are turning around the bush.
>
> Cheers
>
> Arnaud.

>> On 18/Jun/16 13:26, Danny wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Nishal,
>> >
>> > I don't support either your comment/suggestions.
>> >
>> > One question: How are we going to increase use of IPv6 in our region
>> > if we do not strengthen our policies about ipv6 adoption?
>> > "Don't tell me how to run my network " routhly said. I personally
>> > don't support and don't like this answer.
>> >

>> AFRINIC cannot make operators do what they don't want to do.
>>
>> If an operator is unwilling to deploy IPv6, even though they've been
>> issued an IPv6 allocation by AFRINIC, AFRINIC cannot do much about that.
>>
>> There has always been independence between the RIR operations and the
>> LIR operations. This is unlikely to change.
>>
>> The AFRINIC membership could draft policies that "encourage" IPv6
>> deployment, but ultimately, your network, your rules.
>>
>> Mark.

Honest Ornella GANKPA
Network engineer