[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 18 11:59:37 UTC 2016

On 18/Jun/16 13:26, Danny wrote:

> Hello Nishal,
>
> I don't support either your comment/suggestions.
>
> One question: How are we going to increase use of IPv6 in our region
> if we do not strengthen our policies about ipv6 adoption?
> "Don't tell me how to run my network " routhly said. I personally
> don't support and don't like this answer.

AFRINIC cannot make operators do what they don't want to do.

If an operator is unwilling to deploy IPv6, even though they've been
issued an IPv6 allocation by AFRINIC, AFRINIC cannot do much about that.

There has always been independence between the RIR operations and the
LIR operations. This is unlikely to change.

The AFRINIC membership could draft policies that "encourage" IPv6
deployment, but ultimately, your network, your rules.

Mark.