[rpd] Internet number resources reporting regulations

Mukom Akong T. tamon at afrinic.net
Sun Jun 5 04:21:32 UTC 2016

> On 4 Jun 2016, at 4:19 PM, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> The thought of a government agency using this information is actually pretty scary….
>
> I’ve seen what government agencies can do with information they don’t always understand

Correct. And that’s often because they don’t understand what the information is saying or not saying.

Because the information is there, they are free to misinterpret it any way they want. That is outside our ability to influence
What we can do is educate them on what it means and doesn’t mean.
At the first African Government Working Group meeting in Mauritius in 2010, we had a presentation around helping those who attended to understand how to use Whois. I’ve gotten my best AHA moments from participants in our Internet Number Resource Management workshops from the technical staff who work in national security or intelligence.