[rpd] Internet number resources reporting regulations

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:57:30 UTC 2016

Kivuva, et al,
Unless tzNIC becomes an NIR -- and I am not proposing they should -- I
don't see much benefit in this endeavor.

The motivation behind collecting IP address allocation and usage
information is to enhance accountability. However, if such information
collected by tzNIC doesn't end up at the RIR, which maintains the globally
accessible allocation/usage database,this information will be stored away
at worst and MIGHT, be used by the relevant government agency at best.

Regards,

On 3 June 2016 at 12:59, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

> I came across the Electronic Communication Numbering and Addressing)
> regulations from Tanzania that requires
>
> 11.(1) -All entities assigned with internet resources by
> the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) shall submit to tzNIC
> on a monthly basis both assigned and in use Internet Protocol
> (IP) addresses.
>  (2) The tzNIC shall maintain an updated National
> Data Base of any IP addresses in use and registered domain
> names in the United Republic.
>  (3) The tzNIC shall after every three months starting
> January, 2012 submit to the Authority information on the
> assigned IP addresses and registered domain Names within
> that period.
>
> Here is the linkt ot the regulations:
>
> http://www.tanzania.go.tz/egov_uploads/documents/Electronic%20Communication%20Numbering%20and%20Addressing%20regulations%202011.pdf
>

> Just wondering if there are other countries within Africa that
> requires resource owners to report their usage to the government. What
> are the pros and cons of such regulations?
>
> Regards

Douglas Onyango, PRINCE 2, ITILv3
UG: +256 776 716 138