[rpd] New Proposal - "Internet Number Resources Audit by AFRINIC (AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT01)"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 27 07:45:08 UTC 2016

> On May 26, 2016, at 22:28 , Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> Omo,
>
> Would the authors of this policy support an amendment to say that
>
> A.) Complaints must be PUBLIC, including the name and corporate affiiliation of the complaining entity clearly stated, with  ALL evidence backing the complaint be published BEFORE the audit begins

I would not support this amendment. It is overly burdensome and could require the disclosure of information proprietary to the complainer in terms of how their evidence was acquired or it may result in the undesirable disclosure of proprietary information of the party that is the subject of the complaint even if they have not actually done anything wrong.

I trust the AfriNIC staff to properly evaluate complaints for credibility and act accordingly. I see no reason to make the entirety of the complaint and all evidence public.

I would support a requirement that staff, upon receiving a complaint disclose the complainant, the subject of the complaint, and the general nature of the complaint. Upon completion of the investigation, staff should add a general description of the disposition of the complaint (e.g. “Determined not to be credible”, “Subject worked with AfriNIC voluntarily to restore compliance”, “Revoked the following resources: <list>”, etc.)

> B.) Complaints must be backed by Prima Facie evidence to back them up and so as to avoid frivolous complaints that simply tie up resources and are used to harass members

I think that we can rely on staff to be an adequate gatekeeper for this sort of action. A complaint with no prima facie evidence should be treated by staff as less credible than one with adequate evidence. Staff should request additional evidence from the complainant if they do not feel that there is sufficient evidence for a prima facie case for investigation prior to involving the subject.

> C.) That no member may be audited under this process more than once in a 12 month period.

I would support this amendment.

> The issue of if I will support this policy if the above 3 are implemented remains up in the air, but I will guarantee that I will not support it without those 3 amendments.

I think this is too hard of a line in the sand and that you are being a bit absolutist.

I agree with you about the problems you are attempting to address, but I believe your proposed solution is overboard and I think I have proposed reasonable compromises which can accommodate the desires of both sides.

Owen