[rpd] New Proposal - "IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC Region (AFPUB-2016-V4-003-DRAFT01)"

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:21:00 UTC 2016

Hi Sami, All,

2 things:

1. I can support this policy, with a few minor tweaks (3.2.2 is redundant
and also vague as to what the NIC might require for example).

2.  Is this policy proposal eligible for discussion in Gaborone?  If I
recall correctly there is a policy proposal deadline (6 weeks?) before a
face to face meeting.

Regards,

McTim

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM, SamiSalih <sami at ntc.gov.sd> wrote:

> Dear AfriNIC Members,
>
> The PWDG received a new policy Proposal as follow:
>
> Detailed Information
>
> Draft Policy name: IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC Region
> Unique identifier: AFPUB-2016-V4-003-DRAFT01
> Submission Date: May 23, 2016
>
> Authors:
> - Ali Hadji, Comores Telecoms
> - Komi Elitcha
> - Damnam Kanlanfei BAGOLIBE
> - Patrick GH, NIC CIS
> - Nicholas Mbonimpa, RENU
> - Alain P. AINA, WACREN

> <http://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/1741-internet-number-resources-audit-by-afrinic>
>
> Text Below:
>
> 1)Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
>
> Like the other Regional Internet Registries, AFRINIC will soon exhaust its
> IPv4 pool. In order to meet the needs of late resource requestors, a
> transfer policy for IPv4 resources within the region is needed. The goal of
> this policy is to define conditions under which transfers must occur.
>

> 2) Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
>
> The Policy solves the issue of an African organisation needing IPv4 number
> resources after the exhaustion of the AFRINIC IPv4 pool or when AFRINIC can
> no longer satisfy the needs of such an organization.
>

> 3) The Proposal
>
> This policy (IPv4 Soft Landing), applies to the management of address
> space that will be available to AfriNIC after the current IPv4 pool is
> depleted. The purpose of this document is to ensure that address space is
> assigned and/or allocated in a manner that is acceptable to the AfriNIC
> community especially during this time of IPv4 exhaustion.
>

> 3.1) This policy takes effect as from phase 2 of the IPv4 soft landing
> policy (AFPUB-2010-v4-005) or its successor.3.2) Both the source entity
> and recipient must be AFRINIC members.
>
> 3.3) Conditions on the source of the transfer:
>
> 3.3.1 The source must be the current rightful holder of the IPv4 address
> resources recognised by AFRINIC, and not be involved in any dispute as to
> the status of those resources.
>

> 3.3.2 Source entities will not be eligible to receive any further IPv4
> address allocations or assignments from AFRINIC for a period of 12 months
> after a transfer approval.
>

> 3.3.3 Source entities must not have received a transfer, allocation, or
> assignment of IPv4 number resources from AFRINIC for the 12 months prior to
> the approval of transfer request. This restriction excludes Mergers and
> Acquisitions transfers.
>

> 3.2 Conditions on the recipient of the transfer:
>
> 3.2.1 AFRINIC has to approve the recipients need for the IPv4 number
> resources. In order for an organisation to qualify for receiving a
> transfer, it must first go through the process of justifying its IPv4
> resource needs before AFRINIC. That is to say, the organisation must
> justify before AFRINIC its initial/additional allocation/assignment usage,
> [...]

Cheers,

McTim