[rpd] AFPUB-2016-V4-002-DRAFT02

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 22:33:48 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew, et al,
Thanks for the effort in putting this first draft together.

Comments inline:
On 13 February 2016 at 08:58, Andrew Alston
<Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
> Primary among these, it was not known when the rest of the world would run out of IPv4 space, and the adoption rates of IPv6 were also an unknown quantity.

This statement is inaccurate and should be revised. IPv4 depletion
statistics/estimates existed in 2011. Go to potaroo.net, and you will
find stats/presentations of AFRINIC's exhaustion ETA, together with
that of other regions.

> 2) Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem This proposal still maintains a block of >space reserved for new entrants, but beyond that, it allows for the natural depletion of IPv4

This is also inaccurate. While the old proposal had a reserve pool, it
was for unforseen circumstance. New entrants were a known at the time,
so we can't bundle new entrants in there.

Meanwhile, I recall the number of times a company can get additional
allocations/assignments being a major bone of contention/loophole. I
don' seem to see how this policy addresses that. Or did I miss
something.