[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Omo Oaiya omo at wacren.net
Fri Feb 5 19:56:54 UTC 2016

On 5 February 2016 at 05:32, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Boubakar and Omo,
>
> Just in case you are not subscribed,
>
> Would you be kind to contribute and enrich the debate?

SF,

We are subscribed and following closely but these are hectic times with the
WACREN 2016 conference (open invitation to all) and the AfricaConnect2
project underway.  I had planned to chip in at the weekend but now that you
have called me out ....

Let me start by debunking some of the opinions that have been expressed
about the apparent lack of support for the Academic IPv4 policy proposal.
Claims that we didn't believe in its ultimate goal are quite far from the
reality and not worth discussing.  How could we not be?

African R&E networks however need to follow the innovative and
transformative paths common with the development of our communities.
Sensitising and educating our communities on the issues so they could
respond directly has therefore been foremost on our agenda.  We may not
have succeeded as well as hoped but it is certainly not because we are
unaware of these issues.  The need to do away with NAT, securing IP
resources for campus networks and NRENs as well as joining the debate on
topical issues in the Afrinic community have been recurring topics in
presentations at our meetings and conferences.   There is plenty evidence
of this and a search on the net with appropriate keywords should give
anyone a good indication of our efforts.

Like most right-thinking folks, we know that IPv6 is the way to go and that
our community can innovate in this regard and help speed things up but our
reality is that we have a lot of universities who need IPv4 space even if
only for transition mechanisms.   Implementing the AfricaConnect project
and supporting NRENs to connect education communities across Africa also
has IPv4 requirements which makes these discussions and the views in the
community very important to us.

We share some interests but have different needs from some of the folks
debating transfer markets.  Comparisons with environments with different
dynamics is also not something we would engage in.   What we would rather
do is explore ways to limit the rate of exhaustion of Afrinic's IPv4
resources such that there is a fairer system where newcomers are not
disadvantaged and our collective interest for the growth of the African
Internet is preserved.

Bon weekend!

--
Omo Oaiya