[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Feb 3 13:29:04 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/02/2016 05:32, Mukom Akong T. wrote:
>> I've always championed, Universities should get their own IP space and ASN
>> and then
> interconnect with the REN using BGP. Is that the case at UoN and if not
> I'd be interested in knowing the challenges there. I'm pretty sure that
> if every university on this continent requested IPv4 space for 1/3 their
> need, AFRINIC's pool won't last 3 months.
>
> Long dead (live) the IPV4 academic policy!!
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/842-academic-ipv4-allocation--afpub-2013-gen-001-draft-03--under-discussion
>
> Perhaps Kivuva can breathe some life into it.

Sunday, The Academic IPv4 Allocation proposal looks solid. I wonder
why it never passed then.  Has it not been overtaken by events? I'm
not sure we have enough v4 resources now to make the proposal a
reality. But I would not mind having a big percentage of our remaining
resource go to education institutions in the region.

The draft policy aside, nothing is preventing Universities to apply
for resources ans end users. Indeed, they are always welcomed to do
so.