[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:44:52 UTC 2016

On 2 February 2016 at 17:30, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

> My view is simply that the transfers will happen, and we have two options
>
> A.) They can happen legitimately under a transfer policy and the whois
> databases can be kept accurate with good information in an open and
> transparent form
>
> Or
>
> B.) We can hide our heads in the sand and pretend they won’t happen and
> accept the fact that the whois databases may be vastly inaccurate.

You can blame it on anything (from ignorance to cluelessness all the way
through intentional malice, they are those who would say let there be some
kind consequence for plunderers :-)

For the record, my position has always been: legitimate African
organisations should reduce their NAT dependence and get IPv4 allocations.
That's the only way to stem the plundering.

> If we want to stop the mass leakage of space that AfriNIC still holds, the
> transfer policy can also be carefully worded and timed so that it doesn’t
> kick in before we hit phase 2 of the exhaustion policy OR make it such that
> anyone who conducts a transfer of space AWAY from them, does not qualify
> for more space from AfriNIC for a period of X time (to be defined).

Makes sense. It's clauses like these that *might* convince the community
that such a policy isn't a "The AFRINIC IPv4 Space Plundering Policy" :-)

> This means, if someone sells their space, they can’t simply come back and
> get more, and transfer of their space away from them will leave them with
> none and liable to being without any.  This is a damn good incentive not to
> transfer the space to anyone else.

I agree!

Now is there anyone willing to formulate the draft of such a policy? Of
course I can't :-)))))

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran