[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:20:32 UTC 2016

**Wearing NO Hats**

Markets are quite effective at moving resources from where they are not
needed to where they are more highly needed/demanded. This community has
always been against a transfer policy because of the perception (correct or
incorrect) that a transfer policy opens the way for legal plundering of
AFRINIC resources. What policy requirements should be considered to allay
that fear ?

On 29 January 2016 at 22:06, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2016, at 08:23 , Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Janvier,
>
> The term secondary market has become commonly used globally.  Transfer
> policies are specific to each RIR though, and while the RIR’s other than
> AfriNIC each have one (or are developing one), they do differ in certain
> areas.  (Specifically, to my knowledge RIPE has largely abandoned needs
> based justification, ARIN has not yet done this, but it is in the works)
>

> Actually RIPE (sort of) restored needs based justification to their
> transfer policy. They did it in the least useful way possible, but it was
> just enough lip service to meet the so-called compatibility test in the
> ARIN policy for inter-RIR transfers.
>
> While there have been and continue to be policy proposals in the ARIN
> region aimed at converting the IPv4 registry from a registry into an
> auction house, none have succeeded so far, so I would say that claims that
> abandoning needs based justification in the ARIN region is “in the works”
> are exaggerated at best.
>
> APNIC also restored needs based justification to their transfer policy
> some time ago.
>
> As such, I’m not really concerned about using the term in a policy within
> AfriNIC.
>
> Searching for the term, I see the same term used in APNIC, RIPE, the
> international media, and various other places.
>

> The term secondary market is fine, but probably doesn’t really belong in
> the policy text.
>
> Further, this would not be a global policy, it would be an AfriNIC policy.
> There is no global policy and no need for a global policy regarding
> transfers.
> Global policies are for things that control interactions between
> IANA<->RIRs.
>
> This policy would work in cooperation with existing policies at other RIRs
> each of which is a local policy to the specific RIR.
>
> The way the others are currently set up (APNIC, RIPE, ARIN) is that the
> receiving RIR transfer policy is controlling for qualifying the recipient
> and the sending RIR transfer policy is controlling for qualifying the
> donor. The transfer is effected when the respective RIRs agree with each
> other that the donor and recipient have met their respective qualifications.
>
> Now, the can of worms here is that I believe a compatible policy should
> have to be bidirectional. This would give AfriNIC access to the world’s
> secondary market, but it would also enable the transfer of addresses out of
> the AfriNIC region. Under the circumstances, I think this community should
> think long and hard about whether that is a desirable outcome.
>
> The rest of the world has openly acknowledged that a secondary market
> exists, and has largely embraced it, for the good of all concerned, we now
> need to do the same thing, or get hurt in the process.  We have to be in
> [...]

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran