[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 01:41:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Scott,
> On 29 January 2016 at 04:28, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I don't have a strong opinion on how that should be
> > done: I'm just pointing out that it would be good to ensure some sort of
> > soft landing free pool remains for several more years to ensure IPv4
> space
> > is still available for new entrants until the burden of interconnecting
> the
> > legacy IPv4 Internet to the IPv6 Internet switches from IPv6-only to
> > IPv4-only networks.
>
> I believe this is why we have the /12 reserved.

Yep.  I was referring to Andrew's assessment that:

Due to the fact that the current soft landing policy still allows extremely
> large allocations, this will not significantly slow down the allocation
> rates, and if anything, moving into soft landing may well spur more people
> into action and applications, which could actually INCREASE the rate of
> allocation.  Should the allocation rate remain unchanged, Africa is out of
> space by late March/Beginning April 2017.

If you close the loopholes or otherwise adjust the soft landing policy so
that the allocation rate under soft landing policy slows down
significantly, then I think that addresses the concern.  And if it turns
out that your adjustments are insufficient, then you might still be able to
create a smaller IPv6 transition pool using the IANA returned space AfriNIC
will receive over subsequent months.

-Scott