[rpd] Improving participation of francophone and arab country

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Dec 31 06:12:15 UTC 2015

Again, written as a random citizen of the Internet, and not necessarily representative of any organisation to which I am affiliated.

Ok, lets step back a second and look entirely at the policy side of this.

Firstly, a policy can have multiple authors.
Secondly, if the author of a policy wants consensus on a policy, it is up to that author to engage the community and lobby for the policy proposal.

Part of that lobbying is to ensure your policy is understood across language barriers.

I would there for argue that the author of a policy could go out, find a co-author that fell into the language which he was NOT writing in, and have a translation done and submit the policy to the PDP in multiple languages, without AfriNIC actually getting involved in the translation.  This would also serve to build a bridge between the various language groups, and it would greatly assist the author in getting his policy passed, since it goes without saying that a policy that is not well understood will probably not pass consensus.

That being said, when it comes to policy implementation, there has to be an agreement that policy implementation has to always be against a single language version, to avoid a potential problem where mis-translation could result in conflicting versions and create problems for the staff.  (I have seen this happen before in other places outside of AfriNIC).

I will also say that for myself, I would be far happier if a policy translation came from one of the co-authors of the policy, since I would have more faith in the translation than I would if it was translated by an external party.  Technical translation is a tricky thing, and we’ve seen it times and again at meetings where at times the translation can be extremely misleading.

Basically, this is not a problem I believe AfriNIC should be solving, it is a problem the policy authors can choose to solve themselves, by simply adding co-authors to the policy who can translate the policy, which the author should probably do anyway as part of his advocacy work for his policy.  Remember something else, AfriNIC are the implementers of policy, and as such, need to remain ENTIRELY neutral on the content of the policy and its passage through the community.  The moment you ask AfriNIC to get involved in translating the policy to another language that neutrality is somehow violated because they are now directly involved in its passage through the system (since the translated language could contain nuances in the language that may sway opinion one way or another).

(And the author is then free to add as many co-authors as he likes to get the policy submission in as many languages as he likes, hell, if he can find someone to do it, he can even submit a translation in Latin or Greek if he really wants!)

Thanks

Andrew