[rpd] Improving participation of francophone and arab country (was Re: Contents of RPD digest...")

Chevalier du Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 01:49:49 UTC 2015

> Hello Chevalier, all
>
> I like to note that there is usually efforts to communicate in other
> languages at AFRINIC meetings, that's why we have the translators. In as
> much as communication in other languages is important, I think we should all
> recognise that it should be for the intent of understanding one another.

that's the point of "communication is what the listener does"

but also if we have 100 francophones who cannot participate in english
and they start a policy and discuss it in english ... hey i'm happy
and let the anglophones find a way to catch up.

i don't count arabic as a language that should be used because

a) every arab country in africa speaks either english or french
b) if you are going to consider arabic, why not swahilli (spoken in
about almost all of east africa), hausa (spoken in almost all of
central africa's north)

so for sake of sanity (and because it serve no real purpose, we'll
limit ourselves to the FR and EN

> Many(if not all) countries in Africa does not have English as their mother
> tongue, but it has become the "informal" official language that many
> understands/speaks and as such official for this region's internet registry.

even RIPE NCC (Reseau IP Europeanes i.e. name in FRENCH has english as
its official language) - that hasn't stopped french from participating
actively.

--
Borg le Chevalier