[rpd] New Proposal - "Number Resources Transfer Policy (AFPUB-2015-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:25:50 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,
Thanks for this first attempt.
Whilst I am open to the idea of transfer of resources, I feel that the
policy in its current form will disadvantage the region more than it
will benefit it.

More specific concerns are inline:

On 3 November 2015 at 11:47, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
]> The Policy solves the issue of an African organisation using space in
> another Region.

Borrowing from your logic of making policies compatible with other
regions, The Googles, Microsofts, et al of this world, currently
acquire and use space from the regions they operate in. Is there a
strong reason you think an African company expanding outside the
continent should be different?

I also see a huge potential for abuse of the policy in its current
form if companies are allowed to transfer space to other RIRs which
effectively removes the space from the radar and control of AFRINIC.

>This Proposal currently does not attempt to address Legacy
> Resources (IPv4 and ASN's) - that is resources that are in the AFRINIC
> Region and were acquired before ARIN existed. Legacy Resources may be moved
> out of the AFRINIC region and redeployed freely. They may however be subject
> to the receiving RIR's policies.

I would advise that Legacy space be left out of the policy completely.
A partial attempt at tackling it may only raise more issues than it
solves.

> B. Source entities within the AFRINIC region will not be eligible to receive
> any further IPv4 address allocations or assignments from AFRINIC for a
> period of 12 months after a transfer approval, or until the exhaustion of
> AFRINIC's IPv4 space, whichever occurs first. This restriction is excluded
> if the Resource is transferred to the same business entity operating in a
> different region.

12 months might serious advantage some and disadvantage other members.
I suggest you make space acquired through transfers count towards a
member's allocations/assignments. i.e if you had used 70% of space and
you acquire additional space through a transfer, your
allocation/assignment should adjust accordingly. This should be a
simple and elegant solution.