[rpd] New Proposal - "Number Resources Transfer Policy (AFPUB-2015-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Nov 3 17:15:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 08:27 -0500, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I am neutral regarding this proposal at this time. My comments are
> intended strictly for informational purposes.
>
> > On Nov 3, 2015, at 3:47 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Dear Members,
> >
> > We have received a new policy Proposal - "Number Resources Transfer
> > Policy (AFPUB-2015-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"
> >
> > Number Resources Transfer Policy
> >
> > ID:              AFPUB-2015-GEN-001-DRAFT-01
> > Policy Name:     Number Resources Transfer Policy
> > Submitted:        29 October 2015
> > Author:          Mark Elkins, mje at posix.co.za, Posix Systems
> >

> > 1.0 Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal:
> >
> > AFRINIC is the only Regional Internet Registry without a Transfer
> > policy for the movement of numbering resources - both in and out of
> > the Region. APNIC, RIPE NCC and ARIN have compatible Transfer
> > Policies, so it would seem wise to be compatible with them.
> >

> This is not true… There are 5 regions and LACNIC also has no such
> policy at this time, though a couple of proposals have been discussed
> there without consensus so far.

OK - fair comment.
AFRINIC is the only Regional Internet Registry without a Transfer policy
either in place or being discussed.

> It is not clear to me that a lack of such a policy is in and of itself
> a problem or that such compatibility is necessarily in the interests
> of the AfriNIC region as a whole.

I believe it is in the interests of African Companies that wish to
expand out of the AFRINIC Region - by transferring their own space to
themselves in other Regions.

> > 2.0 Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
> >
> > The Policy solves the issue of an African organisation using space
> > in another Region. This Proposal currently does not attempt to
> > address Legacy Resources (IPv4 and ASN's) - that is resources that
> > are in the AFRINIC Region and were acquired before ARIN existed.
> > Legacy Resources may be moved out of the AFRINIC region and
> > redeployed freely. They may however be subject to the receiving
> > RIR's policies.
> >

> The assertion made here may or may not be accurate. In the ARIN
> region, ARIN applies the same policies and procedures to the transfer
> of resources which were registered prior to ARIN’s inception as any
> other resource. There is no such thing as a “legacy resource”, only
> “legacy registrations”. To transfer a resource in the ARIN region, the
> recipient must sign a Registration Services Agreement and the
> transferred resources are not “legacy”.
>

> RIPE has taken a different approach.

In order to come up with this proposal, I took elements from both ARIN
and RIPE and then compared the hybrid with APNIC.