[rpd] AfriNIC and Geo-Location

Ben Roberts Ben.Roberts at liquidtelecom.com
Mon Jul 6 12:50:14 UTC 2015

:-)

I think there is a difference between the way it works with RIPE and Afrinic

If I make an assignment in the RIPE DB (from space allocated to a UK entity) and call it Kenya KE and then the geolocation guys have always seemed to take note of that and treat it like its in Kenya.

Seems it works different with Afrinic. Is that an Afrinic issue or one with the geolocation guys?

As Owen says. The way they operate is a mystery. I once found that all of my UK users were blocked from using BBC I player cos my company had 'satellite' in the name and a geolocation 'trust database' marked all my IPs as being 'uncertain location' by association to a company that sells satellite services (and correctly marks all IPs in their location company)

Regards
Ben

Sent from my iPhone