[rpd] Policy areas to consider

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:26:39 UTC 2015

Hi Seun,
On 1 July 2015 at 20:52, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> With ARIN getting close to end of it's v4 addresses, it recently activated
> an interesting policy that attempts to address requests that are beyond
> available IP block in ARIN's pool.

> - Will be good to see our region preparing for such day as well
> - Will be good to see new policies emerge as a result of the emerging global
> realities.

While I would support efforts for AFRINIC to prepare for this day, I
agree with some people that it is in the distant future. I think the
best way this can benefit the region is our study of how the situation
plays out in ARIN -- we can use this input to shape how we handle the
same situation.

I am keen on seeing how events will unfold in implementing the policy.
Waiting lists are bad enough as they are -- but now that could be
compounded by people on that list who will be seeing ARIN, at best,
using best-effort at reclaiming space.