[rpd] Policy areas to consider

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Thu Jul 2 03:19:10 UTC 2015

On 1 Jul 2015 at 18:52, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> With ARIN getting close to end of it's v4 addresses, it recently activated an
> interesting policy that attempts to address requests that are beyond available IP
> block in ARIN's pool.
>
> https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150701.html
>
> - Will be good to see our region preparing for such day as well

At the current uptake if IP resources in the AFRINIC region such a day is likely to be
more than 5 to 10 years from now - which is many "Internet light years" away ! ...
unfortunately :-)

> - Will be good to see new policies emerge as a result of the emerging global
> realities.

I think we do indeed need new policies that deliberately target to speed up the IPv4
exhaustion in the AFRINIC region - Africa - in a useful productive way that improves the
sustainability of AFRINIC, its LIRs and end users in a profitable manner

The Academic Allocation Policy draft that was rejected a few moons ago tried to do this
but was not acceptable to the community. I do not think "reservation" will yield such
productive and profitable sustainability while speeding up exhaustion.

I know that there are a few ideas floating around that could yield that deliberate
speeding up of the IPv4 exhaustion in AFRINIC while at the same time boosting the income
generation for our cash strapped AFRINIC and LIRs across the region. I hope that someone
will gather the courage to write these up into a policy and face the community with it !

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD