[rpd] Last Call - Resource Reservation for Internet Exchange Points

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Fri Jun 19 09:33:53 UTC 2015

Hello,

All of these points were discussed intensively during AFRINIC-21 in Mauritius. It was even suggested to form a small group  to look at the technical aspects for the 2-bytes ASN reservation. Make the problem statement clear, evaluate possible solutions… and answer the question about shouldn’t this be a global policy if need be….

Thanks

—Alain

and on June 18, 2015 at 5:50:10 AM GMT, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu <mailto:mark.tinka at seacom.mu>> wrote

On 18/Jun/15 00:27, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Since we’re talking about resources for exchange points that don’t exist yet, I don’t see how your statement is relevant.
>
> I’m all for making life simpler for IXPs, but what I don’t want to do is promote expanding damage due to poor education. In this case, I believe that ASN ≤65535 issue is more likely the latter than the former.

Very likely. I was not in Tunis for the remainder of the conference meeting, so did not listen to any comments on the proposal.

This is also an operational issue in service provider networks. Use of the 16-bit low and high order values to convey BGP communities has made it a practical problem of how this can be replicated when one uses the same representation convention while in possession of a 32-bit ASN.

While there are a number of proposals around how this can work, at the moment, the best solution I see is to decouple the ASN from the BGP community. It is less-than-ideal, yes, but given that this is not embedded router code, but rather, a community "understanding", we do not really need to tie our hands if we don't have to.

Mark.