[rpd] Last Call - Resource Reservation for Internet Exchange Points

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 17 19:20:56 UTC 2015

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 11:58 , H.Lu <h.lu at anytimechinese.com> wrote:
>

> Kind regards
>
> Lu
>
>> 在 2015年6月17日,下午8:42,Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> 写道:
>>
>> I support the proposal. I question the need for the inclusion of short ASNs and believe that it will overall lead to the continuance of bad practices that should be phased out.
>>
>> The pool of ASNs available ≤65535 is very limited and we really should be using solutions that do not depend on ASNs being less than 65536.
>
> Partially agree, however reality must faced and unless someone going to pay for upgrade for all African ISPs, short ASN makes more sense for African Ixp.

This simply isn’t true. There are ways for 16-bit only routers to peer with 32-bit ASN routers. No upgrade is required.

The issue as I understand it has to do with the way certain route server filtration is being done due to enforced MLPAs rather than use of direct peering
across the IXP with BLPAs.

In discussing this with a variety of people, including the proposal authors, most of it boiled down to “we’ve been doing it this way and we don’t want to
change” vs. any real technical issue.

The desire to use inbound tagging on the routes followed by outbound filtering on communities which are of the form action:target-AS and/or sourceAS:targetAS
was brought up.

In the case of action:target-AS this is simply that the community has been written backwards and should be target-AS:action.

In the other case, it was completely unclear what the exact use case for these tags was, but most likely an ASPATH access list or similar could actually
accomplish the equivalent functionality.

Note that this is entirely about the ASN used on the route servers hosted by the exchange and not any of the participant’s ASNs.