[rpd] Fwd: [sig-policy] [New Policy Proposal] prop-114: Modification in the ASN eligibility criteria

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Feb 8 04:01:39 UTC 2015

I will say here what I said there…

I will oppose such a proposal. I suggest as an alternative, that the requirement be “Multihome or have a unique routing policy”.

There are some situations where one needs an ASN even though one is not multihomed. Such situations involve a unique routing policy where you may not be multihomed, but you may be peering with more than one ASN or you may have additional internal peering sessions or you may be a stub network with address portability requirements that cannot be met without being able to autonomously control the announcement and withdrawl of your prefixes. Likely there are others that I have not considered.

Owen