[rpd] Fwd: update on policy Afrinic service Guide Lines policy proposal

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Sun Nov 23 14:16:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Karmann Olumomo wrote:
>After taking the community feed back, I'd like to update my proposal to the
>following:
 [snip]

Before I go through your message point by point, let me state the
principle that service level agreements are out of scope of the policy
development process.  A policy can say what information an applicant
needs to provide, and what calculations Afrinic stff will perform to see
how much space the applicant qualifies for, but it should not say how
quickly the staff will do their job.

Of course, it would be nice if most applications were handled quickly,
and if there were good reasons for any unusual delays, but that's
outside the scope of the policy process.

>1) Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal Some
>member are experiencing extreme long wait for their additional allocation
>request to get passed, some members are experiencing none technical
>information requested from Afrinic(customer data, marketing channel etc),
>in order to improve overall service quality of Afrinic, here is the policy.

>2) Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem To improve overall
>service quality and transparency of Afrinic’s number resource services by
>documenting roles and responsibilities of AFRINIC.  3) Proposal
>
>1.Afrinic should make decision on subsequent allocation requests based on
>Afrinic   policy, and conclude a request no longer than the 20% of the
>total period AFRNIC approves the resources for. (E.g. If Afrinic is issuing
>resources to its member to meet its 12 months needs, the longest waiting
>time for Afrinic allocation process should not be longer than 20%*12month,
>to cope with 80% utilization requirement for additional allocation). If
>Afrinic was not able to make decision on a certain request within this
>period, for each additional month beyond this period, the requesting member
>should receive percentage of the requested period of the total request
>until such decision has been made, in order to protect member from smooth
>running of its business.

I think it would be fine to give Afrinic staff the option to allocate
or assign some smaller amount of space, but not to force them to do so.
If they have some doubt about the information provided in the
aplication, I do not want them to be forced to allocate or assign
a fixed percentage of the requested space.

>  2.Afrinic should publish standardized base information request for each
>typical type of resource allocation.

That seems reasonable, provided it's understood that the staff
is free to request more information, over and above the base
information.

>3.Afrinic should not store, request any marketing or business related
>none-technical information from its member, for example, customer data,
>marketing channel, and marketing budget.

They might sometimes need such information to help them decide whether
arequest is fraudulent.  However, it should be subject to an NDA.

>4.Afrinic allocations should be solely made based on current policy, no
>other factor other than policy should infer with afrinic’s decision on
>processing allocation requests.

I agree with this goal, but I am not sure that a new policy is the right
place to codify it.

>5.Afrinic board should never being involved in any form of resource
>allocation process.

I agree with this goal, but I am not sure that a new policy is the right
place to codify it.

>6.For the interest of overall policy development process, other RIR staff
>as well as it's governing body personnel(advisor or board member, for
>example) should not be involve in Afrinic policy development process.

We have a long tradition of an open policy development process.  I would
not want to exclude input from anywhere.

>7.Afrinic policy working group chair election should be conducted
>independent from Afrinic board nomination committee, candidates should be
>free of any requirement.

I don't understand this point.

Finally, it seems to me that your message is more like a list of goals
than an actual policy proposal.

--apb (Alan Barrett)