Re: [rpd] Afrinic policy proposal—Afrinic Service guild lines

Lu Heng h.lu at anytimechinese.com
Sun Nov 23 07:10:44 UTC 2014

Hi Alan:

I have confirmed it with almost every RIR staff, none RIR board should
be involved in member's allocation decision, however, following
sentence is what we receive directly in our ticket with Afrinic:

pending board decision. We
shall advise you of the same as soon as received."

And for the second part, you simply misunderstand what I said, of
course we will provide(and we did, our allocation request has been
pending for 10 months now!) document for Afrinic to review.

I am simply saying what we do and how we use our resource is not
people in this mailing's business(as people ware asking here what we
do in this mailing list). We have no obligation as well as no reason
to answer such question in a public mailing list.

On 11/23/14, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Lu Heng wrote:
>>My allocation has been told that under board decision for past 2 month.
>
> I am not aware of anything in the IPv4
> allocation policy, (AFPUB-2005-v4-001
> <http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/126-afpub-2005-v4-001>)
> that provides for review or decision making by the board.
>
>>And for whom ask about how and why we used up our allocation--simple
>>reply--none of your business.
>
> It is very much Afrinic's business to know how an applicant is
> using or plans to use their address space, so that they can check
> how much address space is appropriate, and whether policies have
> been followed.  Policies specifically require applicants to
> provide documentation of their network plans.
>
> For example, see the following parts of AFPUB-2005-v4-001:
>
> 6.5 Assignment
> ... Assignments must only be made for specific purposes documented
> by specific organisations and are not to be sub-assigned to other
> parties.
>
> 7.2 Conflict of goals
> ... IRs evaluating requests for allocations and assignments must
> carefully analyze all relevant considerations and must seek to
> balance the needs of the applicant with the needs of the Internet
> community as a whole. ...
>
> 7.3 Documentation
> In order to properly evaluate requests, an RIR must carefully
> examine all relevant documentation relating to the networks in
> question. Such documentation may include network engineering
> plans, subnetting plans, descriptions of network topology, and
> descriptions of network routing plans. All documentation should
> conform to a consistent standard and any estimates and predictions
> that are documented must be realistic and justifiable.
>
> 8.1 Introduction
> ... Determination of IP address space allocation size is the
> responsibility of AFRINIC staff.
>
> 9.1 Documentation
> The information required by AFRINIC to justify an end-user's
> IP address requirements include addressing needs, network
> infrastructure and future plans. Such information is required
> when an LIR is requesting IP space for their end-users at the
> time of sending in the request. In order to ensure that previous
> sub-allocation are not duplicated, the current address space usage
> is also required. This information is essential in making the
> appropriate sub-allocation approvals, and the level of detail will
> depend on the size of the request and complexity of the network.
>
> If it's an end user assignment, then in
> addition to the general requirements in
> AFPUB-2005-v4-001, the requirements in AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
> <http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/127-afpub-2006-gen-001>
> also apply.  They include:
>
> 4 Additional Assignment
> ... Requestors must show exactly how previous address assignments
> have been utilized and must provide appropriate details to verify
> their one-year growth projection. ...

> [...]

Kind regards.
Lu

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee(s) shown above.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use
of this transmission or its contents by persons other than the
intended addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify this office immediately and
e-mail the original at the sender's address above by replying to this
message and including the text of the transmission received.