[rpd] Afrinic policy proposal—Afrinic Service guild lines

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Sun Nov 23 04:27:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Lu Heng wrote:
>My allocation has been told that under board decision for past 2 month.

I am not aware of anything in the IPv4
allocation policy, (AFPUB-2005-v4-001
<http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/126-afpub-2005-v4-001>)
that provides for review or decision making by the board.

>And for whom ask about how and why we used up our allocation--simple
>reply--none of your business.

It is very much Afrinic's business to know how an applicant is
using or plans to use their address space, so that they can check
how much address space is appropriate, and whether policies have
been followed.  Policies specifically require applicants to
provide documentation of their network plans.

For example, see the following parts of AFPUB-2005-v4-001:

6.5 Assignment
... Assignments must only be made for specific purposes documented
by specific organisations and are not to be sub-assigned to other
parties.

7.2 Conflict of goals
... IRs evaluating requests for allocations and assignments must
carefully analyze all relevant considerations and must seek to
balance the needs of the applicant with the needs of the Internet
community as a whole. ...

7.3 Documentation
In order to properly evaluate requests, an RIR must carefully
examine all relevant documentation relating to the networks in
question. Such documentation may include network engineering
plans, subnetting plans, descriptions of network topology, and
descriptions of network routing plans. All documentation should
conform to a consistent standard and any estimates and predictions
that are documented must be realistic and justifiable.

8.1 Introduction
... Determination of IP address space allocation size is the
responsibility of AFRINIC staff.

9.1 Documentation
The information required by AFRINIC to justify an end-user's
IP address requirements include addressing needs, network
infrastructure and future plans. Such information is required
when an LIR is requesting IP space for their end-users at the
time of sending in the request. In order to ensure that previous
sub-allocation are not duplicated, the current address space usage
is also required. This information is essential in making the
appropriate sub-allocation approvals, and the level of detail will
depend on the size of the request and complexity of the network.

If it's an end user assignment, then in
addition to the general requirements in
AFPUB-2005-v4-001, the requirements in AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
<http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/127-afpub-2006-gen-001>
also apply.  They include:

4 Additional Assignment
... Requestors must show exactly how previous address assignments
have been utilized and must provide appropriate details to verify
their one-year growth projection. ...

--apb (Alan Barrett)