[rpd] Recruitment of AfriNIC CEO

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Thu Nov 20 07:59:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2014, at 10:13 PM, Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> wrote:
> > I presume there will be involvement of one or more recruitment
> professionals?
>
> Speaking from my own experience on the ARIN board when we had a similar
> transition to make, I’d say that “recruitment professionals” are an
> unmitigated disaster.  They’ll find you a set of generic and mediocre
> candidates, none particularly prepared for the task.  After two false
> starts using “recruitment professionals” we gave up on them and hired
> someone we knew was capable of handling the job, and who wouldn’t flake
> out.  And that’s worked out really well for us.
>
>                                 -Bill

I  totally agree and have never actually seen outsourced recruitment
professionals do a better job than what an engaged and thoughtful
organization can do internally.  Not only do they typically fail miserably
but they waste alot of precious time.  I still presume they will be
involved though and would like to know more about the groups ahead of time
so the community can meaningfully help.

-Adam