[rpd] AnyCast assignments - Update

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sat Nov 8 06:28:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

sorry to come pretty late with this, but maybe better now than never (or
later)...

There are 2 ways for anycast deployments:
1. announce and see what happens
2. announce and at some locations limit the scope of the announcements to
only directly peering networks (with the well-known NO_EXPORT community).

By using the 2nd method, some anycast operators differentiate between their
"global nodes" and "local nodes".
see also: http://ftp.isc.org/isc/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2003-1.txt

When 2 networks AS1 and AS2 are both connected (and preferring) local
nodes, they will carry the anycast prefix with NO_EXPORT in their network.

A common customer AS3 that is multihomed to both AS1 and AS2 and receiving
"full BGP table" from them, will not receive the anycast prefix. If AS3
doesn't use a default, they will not reach the anycast service.

The original:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-10/msg01226.html
Fix by RIPE NCC ("K"):
http://meetings.ripe.net/ripe-52/presentations/ripe52-dns-kroot-anycast.pdf

To avoid this, anycast operators have added an announcement for the
covering /23 from the global nodes. This will always be announced without
NO_EXPORT community, and will thus be visible and reachable to everyone.

I think the same can be expected of anycast operators using this proposed
policy. Therefore I suggest we give them the option to request and receive
either /24 or /23 - their choice.
In IPv6 I also suggest to optionally assign a bigger block than /48.
A /47 would suffice but I guess we don't want to split the nibble into bits ;-)

So I propose to replace every instance of "/24" with "/23 or /24" and
replace every instance of "/48" with "/44 or /48"  - or maybe "/44 up to /48".

Meaning anycast operators can choose which one they request, and they can
get these according to their request.

Sorry for bringing this up that late.

Frank