[rpd] Policy ID format

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 28 23:04:18 UTC 2014

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 6:41 AM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Adam Nelson wrote:
>> After much deliberation, we have come to agree on the following format for
>> all future policy proposals (where YYYY is the year, NNN is an incremental
>> number starting at 1 at the beginning of each year, and VVV is the version
>> of the proposal):
>>
>> afYYYY-NNN-vVVV
>>
>> For example, the 2nd draft of the 3rd proposal of next year would be:
>>
>> af2015-3-v2
>>
>> If the above policy proposal were to be finalized, the version would then
>> be dropped:
>>
>> af2015-3
>
> Thank you!  I have been asking for this for several years.
>
> Please also make the URLs reasonably short, like
> http[s]://afrinic.net/policy/<number>, possibly with a language code
> like "en" or "fr" between "afrinic.net" and "policy”.

It would also be nice if the URL without a version number would retrieve the current version, but all prior versions were accessible by version, so, for example, if v4 was the most recent version of 2014-8, a URL of http://afrinic.net/policy/draft/2014-8 <http://afrinic.net/policy/draft/2014-8> would get af2014-8-v4.

I think that it is desirable to separate …/policy/<number> which should contain only adopted policies from …/policy/draft/<number> which should contain policies which are under development or history of policies which were adopted or abandoned. Obviously, each policy page should include a current state of the policy (Adopted/Abandoned/Under Discussion)

I realize that the addition of a /draft/ level to the hierarchy is contrary to Alan’s request for short URLs, but I think it is a small amount of additional typing and that it is important to make it easy to distinguish drafts from policies.