[rpd] AfriNIC policy AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01 reject

Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:05:46 UTC 2014

Borg le Chevalier
___________________________________
"Common sense is what tells us the world is flat"

On 22 October 2014 11:31, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

>  (Before writing this, I need to state that what follows is NOT written
> in my capacity as an AfriNIC director nor should it be read as portraying
> the views of the AfriNIC board in any way shape or form)
>

> Actually Borg,
>

> I can concretely demonstrate that the availability of IPv4 addressing can
> have an impact on business investment.

Impact, sure. but not determining factor in any significant investment that
can be said to be "developing africa". It the arrogance of the statement I
mention.

> Let me give you an example, since this is already in the media.
>

> Liquid is planning to invest $200 MILLION in African expansion over the
> next 24 months, this was published here:
>

> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-11/liquid-telecom-to-invest-200-million-in-african-expansion.html

Liquid investing $200m in Africa is NOT because of IPv4 address
availability, rather it because of market opportunity. I not sure that
"availability of IPv4 address" is make or break condition for making such
investments. Maybe I'm wrong but i sure that there will still be
invesitment in Internet infrastructure in africa with or without IPv4.

It is however a good red herring for IPv4 brokers and arrogant IT people
who over-value IT in general and IPv4 in particulier.

> While we are dual-stacking **everything** with v4 and v6 as a standard
> rule, like it or not, we still need IPv4 space to do this.  (Without v4
> addressing, there are a number of things we cannot accomplish at the
> moment).

Agree 100% and thank Liquid for leading in this way.

> But believe me, coming from an environment where having address space is
> critical to the business, there is a correlation between investment and
> address space, and it can be clearly demonstrated.

Correlation != Causation. I be happy to be show both. The attractiveness of
IT infrastructure in Afrique is based more on business opportunity.  link
to a IPv4 resource that is quick running out is very shady at best. Or put
different - will these investments stop if afrinic run out of ipv4? (we
might look to see weather investments in infrastructure  in india and Chine
have stopped because of lack of ipv4.

> I do believe that we need to protect the African resources from being
> pillaged by non-African entities and IP Brokers.  I will strongly support
> policy that prevents African resources flowing off continent into the hands
> of those who have absolutely no link to Africa AND where there is no
> benefit (quantitative) to the continent.

That seem to me to be a goal many people in the community share. but i
wander , with such small IPv4 space compared to other part of world, why is
afrinic consumption so small?

> I just do not believe at this point we have a policy proposal that
> fulfills these objectives.

maybe.