[rpd] AnyCast assignments - Update

Ernest ernest at afrinic.net
Mon Oct 20 19:11:42 UTC 2014

>> 3) Proposal
>> AFPUB-2012-V4-001 is modified from the original version to the
>> following version:
>> 1. Summary of the problem being addressed by the policy proposal
>> This proposal allows an organization to receive an IPv4/IPv6
>> allocation or assignment and an AS Number purely for anycast or GPRS
>> Roaming Exchange (GRX) usage.
>>
>> 2. Summary of how this proposal addresses the problem
>> This proposal allows the use of:
>> a. One (1) /24 of IPv4 for anycast services from a PA allocation of
>> an LIR or direct end-user assignment.
>> b. One /48 of IPv6 for anycast services from an IPv6 LIR allocation
>> or direct end-user assignment.
>> c. An AS Number for anycast purposes.
>
> let me explain the second request. the policy, as is worded, is
> potentially ambiguous.  hostmasters _may_ be tempted to say that,
> as per policy, they have satisfied the requirement to allocate
> one, and only one prefix for anycast purposes, to an
> organisation, when, a forward thinking organisation might wish to
> have more than one anycast cloud.  while having one prefix, is
> obviously better than zero, it would be _wrong_ to limit this to
> just one anycast cloud.
>
> so, while the current policy doesn't _disallow_ more than a
> single allocation, it's not clear (i think) to the hostmaster
> team, that more than one allocation might be allowed. (i guess,
> the other way of looking at this, is that there is no requirement
> to _change_ policy if, there is acknowledgement from the
> hostmaster team that they understand this - perhaps we can get
> them to comment here.  the task of determining valid usage will
> still be up to the hostmasters of course)

As there are no explicitly indicated limitations in the current
policy, we implemented this such that an organization can request
and be granted one /24 *per request*. The frequency of the anycast
requests however (from the same organization) is unlimited per our
interpretation.

While reading through the new proposal - we also interpret it such
that one /24 v4, one /48 v6 prefix and one ASN will be assigned with
*each* anycast request from the same organization, and there is no
limit on the number of times the same org can request such resources.

Regards,
Ernest.