[afnog] [rpd] Re: A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Sep 24 15:36:10 UTC 2014

Dear Oma,

Omo Oaiya wrote:

[...]

> You can correct me but I understand that IANA allocates to Afrinic for redistribution
> in the African region and in the absence of guiding policy, the goals of Afrinic as custodian
> take precedence.

ICANN makes allocations from the IANA pools of resources according to the policies that have been established using the Global Policy Development process, which can be found here: http://archive.icann.org/en/aso/aso-mou-attachmentA-29oct04.htm. The current set of policies do not define constraints on what the RIRs can do with the resources allocated to them, so each RIR's policy-making community can make the decisions that are most appropriate for its own context.

Kind regards,

Leo Vegoda
ICANN