[rpd] [afnog] A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 02:51:19 UTC 2014

On 22 September 2014 03:33, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/09/2014 21:56, Kofi ANSA AKUFO wrote:
> > On 21 September 2014 21:16, Andrew Alston
> > <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Kofi,
> >>

> >> Again speaking as myself and not representative of the board or
> >> any other organisation to which I am affiliated.
> >>

> >> If you feel there should be policy updates, you as  a member of
> >> this community are as free as any other individual to draft and
> >> propose policy amendments.
> >>

> >> Instead of everyone being upset by current policy and asking for
> >> amendments and waiting for someone else to do it, how about
> >> taking the lead and proposing some policy and if the community
> >> agrees, we can implement?
> >>

> > Andrew I take that as as a challenge to propose an amendment to the
> > current IPv4 allocation policies as well as promote building IPv6
> > infrastructure in parallel to prevent our region from lagging
> > behind in the current evolution to next generation infrastructure.
> >
> > As someone who has actively experience both sides of the process I
> > believe I provided a fair platform in this discussion to the
> > community of what is as stake.
> >
> > The community must realize they have the ultimate say in how our
> > resources are exploited to promote regional development and hold
> > accountable those entrusted to interpret policies.
> >
> > We could continue deceiving ourselves it is not the job of our
> > internet registries (both RIR and LIRs) to "police" the allocation
> > of our resources and proactive checks of right usage.
> >
> > The key phrase here is "promote regional development" BUT NOT
> > necessarily "keep resources in the region". IMHO content and
> > infrastructure in our region should be priority. Again we have the
> > choice to be passive, turn blind eyes and entrust decision process
> > to a few to make or proactively get involved to exploit our
> > resources for the regions development.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > K.
>

> So ... should the community expect a policy, taking advantage of your
> "seen it all" position? If so, when? Time ticks ...
>
> It will be presented when ready.

Sunday AFRINIC is accountable to the member community. Board Members should
show sense of direction and encourage transparency in all processes and not
hide behind protecting the organisation or the "interest of the
organisation".

CAUTION
Senior members should refrain from shutting down discussions and or
opinions. Others may also be tempted to hit back.

Cheers

K.