[rpd] [afnog] A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Ernest ernest at afrinic.net
Sun Sep 21 08:22:43 UTC 2014

Adiel Akplogan wrote thus on 9/20/14, 11:41 PM:
> Hello Boubakar,
>
> On Sep 20, 2014, at 23:28 PM, Boubakar Barry
> <boubakarbarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The number of posts in this thread and the discussions held in
>> Djibouti show that the community wants clarification on this
>> allocation.
>>
>> In the best interest of our organisation (i.e. AfriNIC) and in
>> order to restore trust, Management and Board should take this
>> seriously and provide adequate responses to the issues raised.
>
> This allocation has followed the same process and procedure as
> any other requests sent to the IP analysts. In term of
> application and interpretation of the current policy nothing in
> this one was different. I think the RS team will be sending all
> the clarifications on the process shortly. Beyond that, I think
> there is a lot of emotional speculation that we need to avoid to
> be dragged into … as you said in the interest of the
> organisation.

Further to Adiel's mail above:

We have studied the community's concerns and comments (in this
thread) regarding the address resource 154.80.0.0/12 that was
allocated to Cloud Innovation on 2013-Jul-24.

Although we cannot divulge detailed information due to
confidentiality requirements, let us take this opportunity to point
out the following:

o The request was received and evaluated as usual, against
compliance with all criteria in the IPv4 Allocation Policy and it
fully satisfied all eligibility requirements.

o Being a large chunk of space, the hostmaster team provided an
evaluation report to executive management (which contained the
evaluation process and the team’s recommended decision on the
request). Management consequently approved its issuance.

o The current IPv4 allocation policy does not contain any
restrictions to out-of-region address space usage specifically when
end-users of that space are located out of region. What IP analysts
examine is the legal existence of the requestor (and its
infrastructure that supports services to be provided) in the region.
Where customers are located is generally not the IP Analysts main
concern unless there is observed incoherence in the request.

o We have in the past few meetings informed the community (in the
policy implementation report) about the observed increase in
requests from companies registered in our region of service (with
evidence of their infrastructure hosted in the region) but
planning to provide services that are used by customers out of
region. We informed the community with intent that the community
considers a policy around this issue if deemed necessary.

We would like to state here that as long as a request has adhered to
policy, AFRINIC will in most cases approve it, unless there are
other visible factors impeding its approval (and needing further
study and perhaps escalation).

Regards,
Ernest.