[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 19 22:43:31 UTC 2014

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:32:34 AM Owen DeLong wrote:

> Really? My perspective is quite the reverse. Such an
> action can only really work in an environment of limited
> or no competition. For circuit- based connections and
> BGP, I would think that far more likely in the AfriNIC
> service region.

The reason I posited that this is more likely in America is
because over the last years, the ideas about this have
generally originated from there.

To add, in my experience, the majority of BGP operators in
Africa have not been battling with the reason the idea has
come up in the first place; perhaps due to use of software
routers which have enough RAM to handle the routing table,
but don't need to be fast because bandwidth is still
expensive, or use of hardware-based routers that have higher
FIB limits than those in the global wild (young nations,
less legacy).

Naturally, this will change, but from what I've seen and
heard from so far, few or no ISP's in Africa are hitting FIB
walls that make this an idea worth considering at this point
in time.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

Mark.