[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Kofi ansa akufo kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 14:24:00 UTC 2014

well

On 19 July 2014 16:48, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:

> *** speaking as mysefl i.e. no hats ***
>

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> "changing the subject line to allow for proper followup"
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Noah Maina <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Which is why I was arguing that LIRs shouldn't seat on the space
>>> allocated but use it extensively. If customers want ips give it to them.
>>>
>> Lots of LIR don't practice this, they kind-of encourage NATing by giving
>> their users a few public IP and when the user ask for more, they attach
>> a fee to it. A typical ISP gives max of a /28 for free and everything
>> beyond attracts an extra fee. You can imagine a typical institution with
>> over 40,000 users assigned a /28 for use.
>>

> I'd say a good engineer would do the math of "get my own space from
> AFRINIC" vs "pay for more IPs from the provider". A very important point
> is that moment when the contract is being negotiated - engineers should
> give input in to this. I'd say two important points need to be made:
>
> a) The institutions is paying for a circuit and transit
> b) The institution should connect via BGP if they so wish do
>
> This should counter that default position from some providers where a
> connection means a CPE with a /28 and a NAT configuration.

Service Providers - typically have different internet service packages
which are mostly delivered using different access technologies to target
different markets.

For example a service provider may have a package which assigns /29 IPv4
addresses to a 2048 / 512 kbps down/up shared internet connection delivered
over ADSL. Thats normal :) because such services are designed for home
users. They assume the service will be used by not more than 4 - 10
connected workstations. This is also mostly programmed with the
provisioning systems and seen more as a business policy or rule.

If an institution should go for such a service they should not expect a /24
IPv4 or higher to be assigned to them.

It only becomes an issue when institutions purchase dedicated circuits and
they are not assigned enough IPv4 (e.g. /24). It will surprise you that
service providers mostly assign /24 to their corporate customers but these
customers only use about 5 - 8 IPs and just NAT the rest of their network
even though the service provider routes the /24 to their demarcation point.

Lesson: most internet users are only concerned about being connected and
how fast their internet connection is. Only a few care to know whether they
are NATed or have a direct transparent IP connection. This is universal.

The bitter truth is the chunk of the IPv4 addresses in general are consumed
by data centers and hosting companies worldwide. Lets think about how to
get more of such consumers established in our region and stop brooding over
IPs and double standard policies.