[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 11:31:58 UTC 2014

Hello Noah

"changing the subject line to allow for proper followup"
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Noah Maina <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Which is why I was arguing that LIRs shouldn't seat on the space allocated
> but use it extensively. If customers want ips give it to them.

Lots of LIR don't practice this, they kind-of encourage NATing by giving
their users a few public IP and when the user ask for more, they attach a
fee to it. A typical ISP gives max of a /28 for free and everything beyond
attracts an extra fee. You can imagine a typical institution with over
40,000 users assigned a /28 for use.

> There is one thing announcing an aggregate to ones upstream! Then there is
> another thing ensuring that a good percentage of that same aggregate has
> been utilised well downstream....whose business is that? For the internet
> to develop allocations have to be somewhat utilised IMHO and more acquired.

You made a valid point, an scenario is having a /16 advertised and using 1
for NATing and say another 4 as DSNAT to internal server running private
IP. This has become normal practice that is almost turning to a culture.

> We have no problems assigning our customers ip addresses. They get amazed
> by it because to us its more business and confidence from our customers. We
> also encourage our customers to send us everything I mean everything
> especially those with their own allocation and ASN.

+1 and good for you by doing that. Just to ask, do you in anyway check to
confirm if your customers are indeed utilizing the requested block?

> As for Saun's experience that is outa this world. ..eish...that provider
> sounds old school but thats wats up! !!

You can say that again, it may shock you to know that the provide is a
major ISP in the continent!

> And for the old NAT, its here to stay. ..you wanna kick out out....start
> from its inception which is collage and academys where Fundamentals of
> Routing are taught lol...NAT/PAT is like a 1st time ideology embibe onto
> any aspiring network engineer...then there is the believe that NAT offers
> some sort of security lol.
>
> Hopefully v6 will kick-it out finally, in generation to come though ;)

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*