[rpd] A typical conversation with a service provider on v6

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:42:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Owen you are joking right? because i think its me and you that access that
> url. I am talking about commercial contents, content that has normally been
> accessed on v4 which has now become v6 only.
>

> No content provider in their right mind would do such a thing. For a
> while, there was the IPv6 porn experiment, but it appears to have fizzled
> due to a number of technical and social engineering issues.

Okay we are in sync

> You weren’t specific, so I provided a URL that met the description you
> provided.

Me thought when we talk content, we were talking about content that is
accessed by many....apologies for not being specific ;)

> - IPv4 still got some life to live either by native or dual-stack
>

> I’m not sure I would call it life so much as continued existence.

Okay better word, at least the point is in sync.

> - IPv6 deployment is increasing not in the “moving" direction for now, but
> in the integrating direction (dual-stacking)
>

> True, which is what we really want to do so long as it is possible to do
> so. IPv6 only really isn’t desirable until IPv4 only systems are no longer
> relevant (by whatever definition of relevance applies to the set of hosts
> about to become IPv6 only).

Great!

> - While we integrate v6 in this region, we should not be distracted of the
> fact that we still need v4 to dual-stack. So keep an eye on, and grab your
> required v4 (now that its still available) before non-region v6 evangelists
> come grabbing your v4 space for export ;)
>
> I don’t think it is the v6 evangelists that will be doing the grabbing you
> describe.

Okay +other non-region providers ;) my actual point was that we don't get
too swamped with v6 evangelism and lose attention on v4.

> If I wanted to plunder Africa’s IPv4 resources, I would have done it years
> ago. :p
>
> Oh no definitely not directed to you Owen, remember i also called myself
an IPv6 evangelist ;) you are definitely one of those great contributors to
this region and i thank you for that.

> Region based ISPs this is your opportunity to expand to other region
> because you've got the resources they don't have. Institution, this is your
> opportunity to grab your own space before your upstream provider start
> charging you extra for an outdated 32bit number and before they start over
> NATing their services to you.
>

> Providers who are NATing your customers, this is your opportunity to stop
> doing them such a huge injustice.

++1 to this addition

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng