[rpd] A typical conversation with a service provider on v6

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:07:12 UTC 2014

Hi Seun,
On 16 June 2014 08:14, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think policy and its implementation at regulator's level could expedite
> some of v6 visibility.

Championing IPv6 in the way you want here will be difficult for
regulators for two reasons:
1. v6 or v-anything is technology, and regulators are generally
service oriented.
2. Nothing is broken as yet --- at least from the regulator's view
point. packets can still traverse the globe with no loss attributable
to the lack of v6.

In light of this, I think the regulators' place --- putting policy to
encourage v6 is the best that we can hope for at the moment.

> Obviously, it bothers me that a mega hosting provider is still looking for
> official launch of v6.

Perhaps you should tell them they missed the news!! The global launch
happened more than a year a go :-)

> If that is what they are expecting, how about
> national regulators formerly lunching v6 and introducing policies that
> ensure the wind of the launch blows across the provider's gears.

Regulators can't launch v6 -- at least not on a commercial basis as
that would turn them into network operators which is outside their
mandate.