[rpd] A typical conversation with a service provider on v6

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:48:19 UTC 2014

Hello Owen,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 04:37 , Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1 but realistically speaking is there anything like v6 only resource at
> the moment?
>
> http://thegoodlife.delong.com
>
> I really need to put some more meaningful content there, but it's a start.
>
> Owen you are joking right? because i think its me and you that access that
url. I am talking about commercial contents, content that has normally been
accessed on v4 which has now become v6 only.

> <<snip>>
>

> I realize a lot of network engineers and network managers don't get it.
> That's really unfortunate. However, the simple facts on the ground are that
> IPv4 has been in critical condition on life support with multiple organ
> failure for more than 20 years. It's on the verge of the networking
> equivalent of a condition known as DIC (Diverse Intravascular Coagulopathy)
> at which point, it will be virtually impossible to keep it meaningfully
> running.

+1

> Like it or not, we are now in a race to get IPv6 deployed before IPv4
> collapses under any one of several scaling limits all of which exacerbate
> each other. The IPv4 patient was GORK'd[1] years ago. Now it's an organ
> donor. The sooner we face that reality, the better off we will all be.

+1 too. However, 3 things remain a fact from this conversation:

- IPv4 still got some life to live either by native or dual-stack
- IPv6 deployment is increasing not in the "moving" direction for now, but
in the integrating direction (dual-stacking)
- While we integrate v6 in this region, we should not be distracted of the
fact that we still need v4 to dual-stack. So keep an eye on, and grab your
required v4 (now that its still available) before non-region v6 evangelists
come grabbing your v4 space for export ;)

Region based ISPs this is your opportunity to expand to other region
because you've got the resources they don't have. Institution, this is your
opportunity to grab your own space before your upstream provider start
charging you extra for an outdated 32bit number and before they start over
NATing their services to you.

Finally to the region, this is your opportunity to ensure that those few /8
resource that was assigned to this region gets used in the region as much
as possible. While those that are not used in this region remain credited
to the region's development.

Regards!

PS: Personal view with v6 evangelist and v4 patriotism minds. ;)

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*