[rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Sat Jun 14 15:09:17 UTC 2014

Hi Saleh,

On 14 June 2014 15:18, saleh yasser <yaser_djiguir at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> We talked several times on the IPv6 migration Pan African continent but
> the ISPs are not trained to follow the inovation technology that makes
> today the development of NAT remains.

Internet Service Providers, by definition exist as Autonomous Systems -
independent, not under higher control. There is no "training" in how to
operate your own ISP, there is an assumption that anyone building and
operating an ISP gains their experience before doing so.

Nobody in the world ever received "training", but engineers, corporate
managers and governments policies around the world for many years have been
urging people to test and implement IPv6 long before IPv4 was running out.

If ISPs feel they are not trained, they should begin self-training - read
books, online tutorials and attend the many, many conferences around Africa
and the world where they can learn from other ISPs.

> Following that impact what ISOC and AFRINIC enreprendrons vision afn
> popularize the IPV6 protocol.

These are some of the organisations helping to provide training, but it is
not their job to tell ISPs how to run their business and how technology
needs to be implemented to maintain a modern, sustainable business.

At all levels, people can check their knowledge of IPv6, read online
resources, and then see if they are doing everything possible within their
organisation to implement it. For example, there is no reason ALL ISPs
shouldn't already have an IPv6 allocation from the RIR. Almost all core BGP
equipment will support IPv6 routing. Everybody can play with this on their
home computer, their home network, their office network and their labs.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be happening as much as it should. We
have a phrase which says "you can bring the horse to water, but you can't
make it drink" .. this feels a lot like IPv6 implementation right now.

Kind regards
Steve