[rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:02:06 UTC 2014

Hi Seun,
On 10 June 2014 21:13, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should this region be worried?... maybe:

No, I wouldn't be worried. I don't think the net will break or
anything like that. I actually think that as more of the Internet goes
v6 the incentive to adopt/migration to v6 will be more apparent to
operators around the continent which is welcome considering how much
all the efforts so far have brought us.

> - Our region will continue to experience an increase in v4 requests from
> organizations that are more domicile in regions with v4 exhaustion. Perhaps
> this could be an opportunity to "by policy" improve ISP establishment in our
> region? Maybe yes. Should we also "by policy" ensure addresses within this
> region are used more within the region.... how do we encourage this as the
> region seem to be comfortable with *translation*. Can policy make this
> happen?

If an organization is not domiciled within AFRINIC's service region,
it would cease to be eligible for resources, so whilst I understand
that this issue is not exactly black and white, I still wouldn't be
too worried about it.

Douglas Onyango, PRINCE 2, ITILv3
UG: +256 772 712 139 | NG: +234 813 604 7638