Election process (was re: [rpd] AFRINIC Board Elections - 2014: Call for Nominations)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun May 11 02:06:25 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 11 May 2014 02:26, "Douglas Onyango" <ondouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ni, et al
> On 10 May 2014 18:14, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:
> > Very good discussion and outcome though I am a little confused about
> > decision procedure
>
> +1 on this one. AFAIK, Nomcom's mandate comes from the BoD and along
> with it: the guidelines.  I am concerned that right now the decision
> to shift the vote tallying and results to election day is in
> contravention of the guidelines and I don't know if the board has
> sanctioned this or if a unilateral decision has been made by Nomcom.

Can you show me in the bylaw/guideline where it says electronic votes must
be counted a day before? The guidelines says close a day before which is
fine, however noncom has a choice to determine when to count otherwise then
their coordinating role isn't as coordinating enough. However if nomcom
says here that it's a board decision to determine when to count votes then
no problem.

> Additionally I don't see the rush to get this done in Djibouti. I
> think this change requires technological and logistical adjustments
> that I am just not sure AFRINIC as assessed properly.

I don't see any technology changes here, and don't foresee any abnormal
logistical changes either. Everything that will be done is what should have
been done. Unless you say it takes hours to unlock the votes after the
three trustees sign

> On this basis, I would suggest  we start preparations to implement the
> new system immediately and possibly present the assessment Djibouti,
> but actually implement it in 2015 after we have a better understanding
> of the implications.

-1 if the system you refer is what we are just talking about. However +1 if
it's about moving 100% to online.

Regards