[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP discussions

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 28 03:16:01 UTC 2013

On Jun 27, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Maina Noah <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2013 22:12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> Of course, that demand cannot and will not be met with IPv4. Nonetheless, I think that 5 is not an unreasonable minimum multiplier within the probably 3-5 year remaining lifespan of IPv4.
>
> In developed Worlds yes, but in the entire african continent were most economies are still developing, your assumption is unrealistic. Max 3 for those from wealthier families but majority students are private who prioritize schoolfees and the little remaining balance for a laptop and probably a smart mobile phone that can connect to a typical wifi network.

My assumption may not be the reality on the ground today, but I stand by my statement that it is not an unreasonable minimum multiplier when we consider IP address needs going forward for even a few years.

Remember, this multiplier needs to support not only the student devices but also campus computer labs, IT infrastructure, etc.

> The above is the true fact in our world.

You've said that the majority of students will have at least 2 devices in today's reality. Given the rapidly declining price of equipment (As an example, what student doesn't want a BMC[1] box in their room for $40?), I think we can expect that more students will have more hardware sooner rather than later.

With the wealth of inexpensive ethernet-connectable micro-controllers, DVD players, Blu-Ray players, TVs, and more, I simply cannot see how you expect that number to surge long enough to be valid for a policy document.

Owen

[1] BMC is an open source software package for media management and playback. It has been ported to the Raspberry PI (RaspBMC). The Raspberry PI is $35 and requires a $5 SD card to run RaspBMC (or anything else).