[AFRINIC-rpd] Summary as it stands on the Academic IPv4 Policy Proposal

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 10:12:10 UTC 2013

Hi Nii,

See comments inline.

>Objection 0 - obtaining resources with less than normal disclosure of
>*need* relative  today's procedures? Question strongly if this is a
>policy and if a solution is not workable by enhance procedures

Will attempt to speak to this one in a separate email since its an answer
I wish to consider fairly carefully before speaking rashly.

>Large amount of resources not well monetized due in part to existing
>favorable pricing policy for HEIs etc

Again, the fees are the purview of the board.  If the board chooses in its
wisdom to continue the discounts to the HEI's, or to adjust other pricing
(v6 pricing etc), or whatever they choose to do with the financial model,
that is not under the remit of the PDP.  Further more, at current
allocation rates within the African space, while this may result in faster
allocation of space at lower rates, there will still be some income
generated rather than none with the current space sitting unallocated for
the estimated 3 to 5 years it could sit otherwise.  In addition, based on
the size of allocations of a normal tertiary institution, should AfriNIC
get 70 applications as was their membership increase, even with the
discounts applied the allocation fees (assuming certain things about the
size of allocations), would be approximately double to three times the
allocation fees generated by the previous 70 members joining.

>>Are we inviting Government's

We are not inviting anyone, but governments who are members are free to
propose policy through the PDP as is anyone else, if they can get it
passed through the consensus basis, then the will of the community will be
done.  If that is not the will of the community, it will not happen.  This
organisation is a community based one, let the communities will be heard
through the processes.

Thanks

Andrew