[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Thu Jun 27 08:35:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
> Last call allows for certain changes as agreed at the meeting,
> however, major changes would require the policy to go back to a
> consensus vote at the meeting and then a second last call period
> to my knowledge.

Yes, that's my understanding too.  Major changes should always
result in the proposal being delayed another 6 months.  Minor
changes may be accepted between the meeting and the last call,
especially if they are to clarify the wording without changing
the meaning, or if the changes were suggested or agreed during
the face to face meeting.  Once the last call begins, only the
most trivial of changes should be accepted, such as correction of
typographical errors.

> As I have said, once the last call is finalised, I have no
> problem if the policy does not pass consensus looking at further
> major changes, but I am not prepared to make such changes
> that would endanger the last call as was agreed to with the
> community.

I agree.  The last call is on the proposal as it stands now.

If somebody has a different proposal that they want to start
discussing, then perhaps some of the current supporters of the
current proposal will change their mind, oppose the current
proposal, and support the other proposal.  I see no procedural
problems with that happening during last call.

So Badru, if you don't like this proposal but you want another
proposal, then you can hope that this proposal fails its last
call, and after the last call ends you can ask the authors to make
changes in a new version to be discussed over the next 6 months.
You can also talk about what you would like to change, or even
submit a new proposal with those changes, but I believe that you
can't change the current proposal during the last call.

--apb (Alan Barrett)