[AFRINIC-rpd] Commencement of the last call

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 08:23:42 UTC 2013

Jackson,

>Most important text for Andrew: The Working Group Chair(s) shall
>evaluate the feedback received during the Public Policy Meeting and
>during this period and decide whether consensus has been achieved.

- 100% agreed this is important, but let us look closely at the wording,
the feedback is evaluated based on both the on the floor AND the mailing
list and evaluated in a combined manner.  At current we have 5 or so
people on this list objecting when in comparison to the 60+ votes for in
the room.  This is also kind of important.  But consensus is not purely
about majority and I acknowledge that.

>So feedback receive during last call is IMPORTANT to determine
>consensus finally by the chairs.

- Of course it is, however, part of consensus process is that we seek a
common goal and a common outcome.  As I stated, it is about debate where
we seek to address problems with a proposal rather than rejecting it out
of hand.  As such, questions are asked, answers are given and if the
answers are not satisfactory, further questions that directly address the
answers given should be asked, until such a point where either the authors
acknowledge that they cannot answer specific questions and as such have
issues that need wording changes, or those who are objecting and asking
the questions find that their questions have been adequately addressed.
However, objecting to a proposal without an analysis of the answers given
and without asking questions that directly relate to the answers given is
not the process through which consensus is sort.  Again, I repeat,
questions have been asked and answers have been given, and again, I ask
those that are objecting to please review those answers and should they
not be satisfactory to question the answers as stated.  Outright rejection
of any position is not part of the process, as it does not seek to find
common ground.  Modification of something without adequate reasoning and
without debating the answers given and addressing each point is not part
of the process, as it will never lead to finding common ground.  Ruling on
consensus by a member of the community while the last call period is still
open, without the chairs full and unequivocable evaluation of all comments
and feedback received is not part of the process, as such, your ruling
that there is no consensus as you seem to be trying to state is invalid.

>Andrew your agreement with community to approve while ignoring last
>call discussion contravene PDP and is null and void.

I am in no way ignoring last call discussion, I am asking that protocol be
observed and the answers to the questions raised either be questioned on
the merits and refuted based on what was said, or the questions be
acknowledged as answered.  Either of these options I would be fine with,
but as of yet I still have not seen the answers I have given to specific
technically founded objections addressed, and as such, I believe it is
premature to declare that no common ground can be found and we need a
major rewrite.  Objection without substantiation and without affording the
opportunity to evaluate the answers to any objections is dogmatic and not
constructive, and in my opinion carries little weight.

Andrew