[AFRINIC-rpd] Re: PDP discussions

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:03:46 UTC 2013

Errr McTim,

Sorry, but how exactly do you graph concurrency IP utilisation on a network
that has no IP's to put on the network?  Or are you proposing that campuses
deploy infrastructure on NAT and then convert later after they have used the
NAT statistics to justify IP address space, creating large amounts of work
and complex migration and deployment processes when there is already a
severe and acknowledged lack of skill in the region?  This is a chicken and
egg approach, if you can document the number of addresses you are using, you
probably don't need addresses, UNLESS you are already running masses of NAT.

This argument is contraindicated anywhere where campuses are deploying new
infrastructure and that is the exact situation we find ourselves in with the
less well established institutions who we are attempting to help with this
policy.  Again I repeat, the larger more financially wealthy institutions
can already provide the documentation needed, as was demonstrated in the
case of the universities who got large allocations last year.  The ones who
need this policy can't on the other hand.

Andrew